I’ve spent the past month playing through Toby Fox’s Undertale. Twice. If you’ve never heard of the game, go check it out. It’s amazingly addictive.
Be aware. If you haven’t played Undertale yet, they may be some minor spoilers in this post.
Anyway, I played with my daughter (she actually did all the work). We ran the neutral route first, not knowing that you could spare people. We ended up killing Toriel, which haunted us for weeks. Finally, we restarted and ran a pacifist route.
On our second try at the game, I noticed how many food items were scattered around the Underground. Of course, we snatched up as many as possible to be able to survive some of those boss fights. (Ahh Mettaton!)
Then I discovered that recipes for these foodstuffs exist all over the Internet. So I thought I’d collect them here.
First off, we have Muffet’s Spider Cider doughnuts
We never got a chance to try these because we only encountered them outside of Muffit’s lair. If you’ve played the game, you know that here they cost 9999 gold. Too rich for my blood.
Spider Cider Doughnuts
I found this recipe on Jaybug Jimmie’s Web but the recipe is originally from toxiccaves. The recipe is shown below. I added the salt because, as a home baker, I know salt enhances the flavor of the other ingredients.
- 2 cups of flour
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 teaspoons of apple sauce
- 4 tablespoons of apple cider
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons of vegetable oil
- Purple food coloring (a mix of red and blue)
- Preheat your oven to 325° F.
- Mix together the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking soda, salt.
- Mix the wet ingredients in a separate bowl: applesauce, apple cider, milk, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ones, and mix. Once thoroughly blended together, add a few drops of purple food coloring until the batter is the right shade of purple.
- Pour the batter into a donut pan, (or a muffin tray is a fine substitute) and then pop it in the oven for about 10-15 minutes, or until a toothpick test comes out clean.
- Once they are done and have cooled down, roll them in a cinnamon sugar, or a glaze (made of powdered sugar and water).
- To decorate, look for spider-shaped sprinkles (best available at Halloween time), or use black and purple ones. Black sugar crystals will melt into the donuts a bit and make it look like you have tiny spiders baked into the dough.
You can choose to sell your spider cider doughnuts in the ruins for a reasonable price, or jack it up just outside Muffet’s lair. Stay tuned for a Spider Cider recipe.
You missed the bake sale in the ruins. They cost only a few gold, there. You can use it during the fight to skip it.